Sunday, November 6, 2011

Couponing Adventures

I have been around couponers for all of my life (my Grandma was a major couponer and I use to tease her endlessly about her foil, toothpaste and deodorant stashes).  I have even tentatively used coupons here and there through out my own life.  However, it's only been in recent months that I've been a little more serious about this money saver.  I suppose it's captured more of my attention now that we've been a single income home for over a year now.  Every little dollar here and there can quickly add up!  

I started asking friends what they were doing to score their major deals; I began to hunt down couponing websites and review their methods; and I began to make mental lists of how I would begin my own foray into the couponing world.  For the most part I stay pretty busy between a small accounting / tax prep business, homeschooling, mothering, wifely duties, keeping my home, Bible study, etc., etc.  Who isn't busy these days?  Consequently, I was doubtful on my ability to spend hours trying to find that elusive deal.  My first attempt at couponing took me a LONG time, partly because I was doing it according to my friend's method and partly because I was new at this and went slowly to try to eliminate any costly mistakes :)
Regardless, after my first drawn out experience, I quickly realized that in order for me to stick to this money-saving technique I was going to have to lay down some ground rules:
1. I file away all the coupons I receive (through friends, newspapers, and my husband's work - he's a newspaper pressman); I prefer to file by their print date (found on the spine of the coupon publication).
2. About once or twice a week I review a few select websites that match up the coupons with the deals (my favorites are www.southernsavers.com and www.krazycouponlady.com).  If it is a particularly tight week (on time), I'll try to narrow down my shopping to just one store.
3. I skim the deal lists and pick out what we would use and only those items that are about $0.99 or less; some weeks I stick to just the free items if I am tight on time.

I am definitely not an extreme couponer, but these rules have worked for me and have prevented coupon burnout or feeling overwhelmed (because there is a TON out there and it is easy to get overloaded with all the information!).  This week I scored my first pay-back transaction.  Yes, the store actually gave me money BACK instead of me giving money to them, cha-ching!

Don't be fooled though.  It is easy to see something that is a good deal and buy it.  In reality, it is just a good deal for that brand.  I am rarely loyal to a particular brand.  I am a cheapskate at heart and will follow where my dollar leads me.  I've often found that even though something is a good deal (even with the coupon), it still can't beat my faithful Aldi (and I LOVE their 100% satisfaction guarantee).

So keep your eyes open for the deals, they are out there!  Begin to learn the various product prices at each of your stores; and know the difference between a brand deal verses an actual deal.  Good luck and God's blessings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment